Thursday, January 6, 2011

Blog #1

Hello, I’m Marc Eisenberg. I’m sure that by reading my name you can tell, I am an American Jew. My family originally came from Europe around 1890. I find that last fact interesting, as many Jewish families did not arrive in the US until the mid-1900s. Because of this, all of my ancestors fought in every major American war, and have been contributing to the country ever since touching land (these colors don’t run).
My religion is important to me, because if not for Jewish cultures and traditions, I would not exist. My parents were from opposite sides of the country; my Mom from San Francisco and my Dad from Long Island. Before these two, they were both independent and ambitious. My Dad moved to Ohio for work, and my Mom moved to Ohio to attend Nursing school and to be near her older brother (my Uncle) Marty. Always interested in Judaism and community, my Father was on the board of trustees at his temple. Through his participation, he met my Uncle Marty, who invited him to spend Passover dinner with him and his family. At this traditional dinner my parents met, began to dated, fell in love, got married, and had four kids. Over the past 28 years, the tradition goes on as my Uncle continues to hosts our weekly Shabbat dinners. This tradition is only slightly religious, yet has been a very crucial family tradition that helps us stay close to the people we love most.
Although I do not consider myself extremely spiritual, I feel connected to my Jewish culture through participating in traditions and staying in touch with my identity.

7 comments:

  1. Marc,
    Your family history is really interesting and tells us a lot about who you are and what's important to you. However, I'm not sure about this line: "all of my ancestors fought in every major American war." ALL of them? Even the women? And EVERY major American war? What about the ones that occurred before 1890?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc,
    WOW! Your family history is very interesting! I think it’s really cool that you’re fascinated in it also. My parents are from opposite sides of the state and always thought that was interesting that they found each other. I only have one sister, but I always wanted more siblings. Are you close to your siblings? Your family seems like they’d be very close and it seems like your religion brought you together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marc,

    I'm really interested in Jewish history. This Christmas I went to San Francisco to visit my aunt, and one of her best friend is a also a Jew. I talked a lot with her about the Jewish people, and I found that Jewish people are hard working, and what impressed me most is, they have extremely strong sense of honor of being a Jew, like you guys don't celebrate the Christmas but your own Jewish new year. Some of my friends in high school are now in college in Israel, and they also told me that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc,
    That is an amazing family history. It sounds like your very close to your family, and that is something that I value in my life. Without my family, I don't know where I would be today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marc, i can totally connect, as a fellow jew. And better yet my dad is from Long Island too! How ironic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your family history is really interesting and I agree that family gatherings are a great way to feel connected and being around family really keeps you grounded and brings you back to the values and support you grew up with.

    ReplyDelete